Friday, June 17, 2011

Mariposa Folk Festival.....More Than Just The Mainstage

       With the Festival only 3 weeks away I thought I’d take a moment to mention a bit about all of the great workshops that are happening throughout this year’s Festival. 


     The Workshops are in my opinion what make the Festival great. You get to see your favourite artist’s one on one or in many cases you get to discover musicians you would never have had the chance to hear in any other setting. The flying by the seat of your pants mentality is also what I enjoy about the workshops, as much as they prepare you always get that guitar out of tune, or the broken string or the forgotten line of a song, and in all of my years going I have never seen an artist’s get upset, they just go with the flow and laugh it off, it’s a really refreshing vibe to take in.


      This year’s Festival is offering over 30 workshops throughout the entire weekend, some of them are : Bluegrass Brunch, World Stage,  Raised All Wrong, Fiddlin’ Around, Lightfoot Songs, Booze Boots & Bedlam, We Shall Overcome, This Land is Your Land, Through Ages and Acres, Beatles Sing Along.


     My advice to Festival goers is to take a few minutes and plan out their day so they don’t miss out on some of these really great workshops and artist’s that Mariposa is offering this year, because that happens to me every year. I’m sitting there looking at the program and just as I’m headed off to one stage I look and there’s someone on another stage at the same time that I really wanted to see

   If there is one thing “wrong” with Mariposa it’s that there is just too much Good Music, and if that is wrong then I just don't want to be right


This year’s Mariposa Folk Festival takes place July 8-10, Orillia, Ontario. This year’s line-up includes Emmylou Harris, Josh Ritter and the Royal City Band, Peter Yarrow, Lunch at Allen’s, John McDermott, Ron Hynes, Garnet Rogers, Adonis Puentes and many more on eleven stages throughout the beautiful Tudhope Park on the shores of Lake Couchiching.


There will be Audience camping available at nearby Burl’s Creek Family Event Park


http://www.mariposafolk.com/

All ticket categories are now on sale at www.mariposafolk.com


Kids 12 and under are admitted free. There is discounted pricing for youth and young adults.

Joe Cornelisse-SSGS


No comments:

Post a Comment