Sunday, May 22, 2011

What's On My Turntable?


      So What’s On My Turntable Today?  Well today we have the 1984 Record “It’s My Life” by Talk Talk.

     I never really liked the Synthpop label that was used to describe Talk Talk, yes they used Synth’s, but there was much more to them and the much more I speak of is the voice of Mark Hollis. We all know of those bands that if their lead singer up and quit there would be no way in hell that they could carry on under their current name, well Talk Talk was one of those bands. Mark Hollis just has one of those voices that is so distinct that no one could even come close to copying it.

     From “Dum Dum Girl” to “Such a Shame” this record just screams listen to me more, the way the vocals dance with the instrumentation is like listening to a wave. I remember when the video for “It’s My Life” started getting play on Much Music and CFNY in Toronto added “Such a Shame” and “It’s My Life” to their rotation, the bands success skyrocketed but they still had that “indie” feel to them…which was cool in my books. Hollis retired from the music business years ago .  

Joe Cornelisse-SSGS

No comments:

Post a Comment