Saturday, March 5, 2011

Mariposa Folk Festival 2011: A Look ahead


It’s a few weeks into a very cold February afternoon, as my wife , my young son and I walk the cold white grounds of Tudhope Park , I begin to imagine those 3 magical days in July that transform this barren snow covered field into what is the Mariposa Folk Festival.

2011 will mark the 51st Mariposa folk Festival and the 11th year back in Orillia after being told to take a hike back in ’64. As I sit down to type this an exciting line up for this year’s festival has taken shape, we will have such widely diverse acts as world renowned Tenor John McDermott all the way to the larger than life team of Jim Bryson & The Weakerthans Band (My own personal “It” band to see this year).

As with every year the festival continues to grow in size and numbers while keeping that small intimate family gathering feeling that it’s returning patrons have become accustomed to over the years.

In the next few months I will be devoting more columns to some of the acts that are playing this year’s festival and I will also keep you updated on more acts as they are announced. I also plan to post live from the festival this year to Self Serve Gas Station and through FaceBook and Twitter


“In a land of milk and honey
It can really make you smile
And if I had a ticket
I would stay in Biscuit City for a while”
GL

www.mariposafolk.com



Joe Cornelisse

No comments:

Post a Comment