Wednesday, February 20, 2013

When a Record Sleeve becomes Art – The Carpenters – Rainy Days and Mondays



     This happened to me quite often, I pick up a record and I am more entranced by the sleeve than by the actual music itself. Today as I was digging through the record bins at Alleycats Music & Art I noticed some 45's in a box on the floor, now I have been buying 45's (the kids these days call them 7"'s) since I was 8 or 9 so I have seen thousands of them. Most just come with your generic paper sleeve with the record company logo on it, but sometimes you get lucky and get a picture sleeve, well that's what happened today. I found the 45 for The Carpenters song " Rainy Days and Mondays", now that's not what caught my eye, it was the sleeve, the silhouette of Richard & Karen Carpenter, one side blue the other side red….it was just so cool looking, they could be hanging in a gallery show in my opinion…..so there ya have it, I just wanted to share this very cool find with everyone.

    Oh and if you are in Orillia and are looking for some funk/soul on vinyl get yourself down to Alleycats, Mikes got some real gold in right now.


Joe Cornelisse-SMM



95 Mississauga St. E, Orillia, Ontario
Hours

Tue - Sat: 11:00 - 5:00 PM
Sun: 12:00 - 4:00 PM


No comments:

Post a Comment